In our Sound Therapy Training we outline how Tibetan singing bowls are often used in sound therapy as they create an orchestra of harmonic sounds that are deep, comforting and relaxing.
How to play the bowls:
As the bowls are made of several metals they are symphonic instruments and therefore work with a whole spectrum of notes and sounds. Variations in notes and sounds can be made by playing the bowls in different ways, including:
• tapping the bowl
• playing around the rim
• using different sizes and types of wand
• speed of play (slow, fast)
The notes will also vary depending on which wand is used to play the bowl. Tibetan bowl wands are usually made from wood and often have other materials attached to the wood. There are a variety of wands available:
• Wood only
• Leather covered
Wands come in various sizes. It is better to use the larger suede wands with the larger bowls as they play much better and do not vibrate with harsh sounds, the smaller bowls are best played with wooden wands and medium bowls can be played with both suede and wood.
When working therapeutically with a Tibetan singing bowl, you should always clean it first. Use a soft cloth, add sea salt, and a small amount of lemon juice to the inside of the bowl and then rub the bowl inside and out. .
The different sizes and thickness of the bowls create different sounds and therefore with the use of three or four different bowls a harmonic experience can be created. The bowls create many different tones and overtones when played and have the natural ability to affect our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of our being.
How Tibetan singing bowls work as sound therapy:
The tones of the bowls:
- Permeate the our body to a cellular level and release blockages or stored energy allowing us to become balanced.
- Break up rigid energy patterns and restore the natural circular flow of energy, chi or prana throughout the body.
- Allow old energy patterns that no longer serve us to be removed and transformed
- Balance each of the chakras and bring each layer of ourselves into harmony with one another
- Synchronise the two hemispheres of the brain.
- Allow us to enter into the alpha-theta optimum healing frequency.
- Facilitate entering into altered states of being
To hear a recording that I made of Tibetan bowls, click on the player below….
This recording demonstrates working with a variety of bowls, wands and playing styles.
We recommend using headphones for best audio quality….
To discover more about sound therapy training click here.
To find more about how sound therapy works click here.